About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

INDogs vs INDogs






Following Manik Godbole's interesting post "Are these traits common to all INDogs/Pariahs?" (29 November, 2007), I thought I'd show you what Lalee does when she meets free-roaming INDogs/pariahs in neutral territory - in this case, a beach in the Alibagh area which we often visit.

Lalee's constant companion there is Lucy, a little INDog-mix who lives in my aunt's bungalow. She's a bit older than Lalee, but Lalee is the dominant one. Whenever they see other dogs on the beach they both rush at them with hackles up, barking and often growling. If there are just one or two strays, my two usually manage to chase them off the beach into the wooded area nearby. If there are more than two, Lalee and Lucy are much more careful and don't show actual aggression. I never interfere in these little skirmishes, they all seem to sort it out perfectly well on their own.


Two weeks back there was this little group of three, one female on heat and two males (top). I was secretly a bit worried that Lalee might get bitten this time, as they were mating when she barged in (second and third photos - Lalee is the one with the collar of course). The fourth picture is of Lucy approaching the pack - very very carefully!


The point I'm trying to make is that both Lalee and Lucy have been interacting with other dogs right from the start, and understand how to go about it. In neutral "no dog's land" my experience is that INDogs are generally more defensive than aggressive. If I had tried to shoo off the strays, my own dogs would have interpreted it as support and launched a more ferocious attack - and would probably have been bitten in retaliation. It may seem risky to leave them to their own devices, but this way has worked for me for the past six years. Of course if my dogs had actually entered another dog's territory there would have been a fight. Also, the aggression levels of free-roaming INDogs may vary from place to place - so I'm definitely
not recommending that you unleash your dog and let him/her rush at stray dog packs! I'm only describing what I myself have witnessed and I would really love to know other people's experiences.

Rajashree Khalap

No comments: