About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Monday, February 25, 2008

Rick and Spike






Rick and Spike are of the same litter. They have been together since they were born. The darker one is Spike and the light golden one is Rick.

I've read in many books that when two pups are adopted at the same time, they have to be fed in different rooms as there is competition for food between them. I tried doing this but it was not possible. They are both just inseparable. They need to see each other while having their food. Even if their bowls are kept in different rooms they drag them to each other and eat together. They exchange bowls at frequent intervals.

Once Spike had caught some viral infection and the vet suggested that we keep them in separate rooms while sleeping, so I kept Spike in my room and locked the door. Rick was made to sleep in my brother's room. I never thought it would be so difficult to separate them! The whole night Rick sat outside my room and cried to come in. I couldn't sleep, but also couldn't bring him in for fear of him getting the virus. In the morning when I opened the door the sight was worth seeing. Rick came running to Spike and they licked each other. The next night when they slept together they were very happy. Spike actually hugged Rick tight!

Both of them are bird lovers. They like watching birds fly. Every time they see a pigeon or crow they wag their tails and try to go to them. But my poor kids cant fly !!! (I've attached a picture of them while they were watching birds in the sky).


Prerana Sawant

Thane, Maharashtra







Rick and Spike were adopted from Charu Shah, who had posted their puppy pictures and adoption appeal here and elsewhere. Great to know these two got such a nice home!

Rajashree

3 comments:

doggylove said...

Hi!! Rick and Spike have such a good brotherhood spirit, hats off to them, also congrats to Prerna to have adopted them both. write more about them, we r eager to know more about their mischiefs and all!!take care, manik.

Vishakha said...

Awwwwwwwwww .. Cute little darlings.. Seeing their pics i was just wondering if they can include me in their pack :)

Muaaah and lots of belly rubs to them...

charu shah said...

its wonderful to see them get such a loving family!!!!!!!! thanks prerna :) hope there are many more like you to adopt more strays and give them a loving home