About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Monday, May 18, 2009

Shalini

















Another lucky puppy saved from a grim fate. And another lucky person who got an INDog.

I have to admit, the best thing about this blog is that I get to interact with absolutely the nicest, kindest members of what I have come to believe is a degraded race. I mean us humans. (Go back to my post about the bloody-minded citizens of Meerut and you'll understand what I'm talking about).

The other wonderful thing about this blog is that I get emailed the cutest pictures. They keep me smiling. I don't have to put in the slightest effort to make the blog beautiful, with photos like this regularly coming in.

So, this little dog is Shalini and her rescuer is Nicole Poyyayil, who had earlier adopted Deepa. Deepa lives with Nicole's parents in Switzerland now.

Shalini was a healthy and playful pup when Nicole first saw her on a street in Navi Mumbai. Nicole started feeding her treats whenever they met.

But then she had to make a short trip out of town. When she returned and went to look for her, she found to her horror that the pup had become skeletal, so weak she could hardly stand, with lots of small wounds in her paws. The cause of her sudden illness remains a mystery.


Of course it was impossible to leave her on the street in that condition. From her vet Nicole heard about some people who looked after street dogs in their home, and she arranged to keep Shalini with them. But all the dogs there seemed to be chained all the time and Nicole wasn't very comfortable with the place.

She and her husband were about to shift to Ahmedabad, but they made a decision to adopt Shalini and take her with them.

With her life changed so dramatically for the better, Shalini started recovering.

They are all in Ahmedabad now, just settled into their new home.

One more great INDog story has just begun...


Photos: Nicole Poyyayil
Ahmedabad

4 comments:

June said...

Hey Rajashree,
I want to thank you in public for all the unconditional and selfless help you are giving me in taking my dog to Picolo. I am very touched and appreciate the time you are taking out to help me with my problem. Especially since we dont even know each other.

Rajashree Khalap said...

No need to thank me, that's what networks are for. Do check your gmail, there are some good suggestions from Shreerang. You should also call Natasha in B'lore, she may really be able to help. Her phone number is in her email.

Unknown said...

I have myself gone through the same. I am a Dane who brought my Indian Pariah dog (and 2 Indian cats) with me back to Denmark and I got DHL to send the bloodsample so I dont understand why they are telling you that it is not possible?
I might know someone that could bring the blood sample to Denmark for you, so if you are still in trouble please let me know (rlildballe AT gmail DOT com)

Rajashree Khalap said...

Thanks! Luckily June managed to find someone who could take the sample to Sweden. I've given her your email ID as she would probably love to meet another Pariah dog fan when she reaches Denmark.