About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Chinky







Recent photos of Manik Godbole's Chinky! In the second one, she's with Manik's one-year old nephew Advait.

After unsuccessful attempts to find her a home, Manik decided to adopt this beautiful dog herself. Her wonderful erect ears have dropped after one of them was notched (ear-notching is routinely done by welfare organizations after neutering). But she's still a very good-looking dog!

On my last visit to her home, Manik pointed out that Chinky's coat is extremely smooth and short-haired; in fact the length of the hair is shorter than is normal for Indian Pariahs. I wonder whether this is a sign of hybridization, or whether such short coats do occur in INDogs sometimes. Something I have to look out for on my rural travels.

Click here for earlier posts on Manik's dogs.

A very sad piece of news is that her lovely Blacky passed away recently after a brave struggle with cancer. I'd met Blacky a few times, and I can imagine what a harrowing experience it was for the Godbole family and how much they feel his loss. It's good to look at his photos and remember what a fantastic life he had, full of love and fun and good friends. Things that all dogs deserve, but very few get.

Photos: Manik Godbole
Mumbai

No comments: