About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Radha

Radha is a very cute INDog-mix from Chennai, who recently got adopted in the US. 

Owner Constance wrote in about her:



























I live in San Francisco, California. I was looking for a mix-breed dog to adopt. I was on a local website called 'Grateful Dogs.' There was a photo of Finnegan, a mixed hound dog from South India. I couldn't believe my eyes. I had just returned from Tamil Nadu and Kerala a couple of months prior to this. Tamil Nadu holds a special place in my heart. I have visited India four times, twice to Pondicherry to visit Sri Aurobindo's ashram.

I emailed Shannon McDonnell, the contact person for Finnegan. She telephoned me right away and told me Finnegan was no longer available, but was I interested in hearing about another dog, Claire? As it happened Shannon and her husband, Tim Cloonan, lived in Tamil Nadu for six years for Tim's job, and brought their dog, a female boxer with them. Tim and Shannon rescued six Indian 'country dogs' with the help of their boxer, who was 'mommy' to them.

Claire was four months old when they adopted her. She was given cow's milk by someone and got a calcium rush to her front legs. Her feet became misshapen and she was rejected by her mother and could no longer nurse. When Tim and Shannon found her, her ears were studded with ticks. They took her to a veterinarian who treated her well. When it was time to return to the USA, Shannon and Tim got all the dogs health certificates and were allowed to bring all six back to San Francisco.



















We renamed Claire "Radha". She is four years old and I love her like crazy!



































































Text and photos: Constance G. Hills
San Francisco
USA

Please do not use images or content from this blog without permission and acknowledgment


No comments: