About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Our very own Van Gogh!

I found Gogi quite by chance. Driving home from college one day, I stopped the car as the two teachers accompanying me wanted to buy some provisions. As I sat at the wheel, waiting for them, I noticed a slight movement just in front of my car. I got out to check and saw a really tiny pup, busily checking the surface of the road with her nose for something to eat. It was a very busy road with no pavement. I carefully checked the surrounding area for the mother or the rest of the litter but could not find any sign of them. Then I noticed something else. The little one's right ear had been almost severed and was hanging by a thread of skin! Without hesitation, I picked her up and put her in my car where she sat quiet and interested until I reached home.

While the family and our vet were wondering what to do about the ear, it suddenly fell off and the ear hole, in a very short time closed completely also! It's been 12 years since that time and Gogi is left with one beautiful ear. We named her after Van Gogh who also unfortunately lost his ear.

She has remained as small and delicate as ever but as strong and robust as they come. She's an elegant little dog and is very energetic. She is the only one allowed on the bed and one of her games is dashing all around the bed, zig-zag, in circles or from corner to corner until she has to stop, panting and exhausted and smiling. Yes, Gogi smiles. When you speak to her, when she's been naughty and when she's checking out some new clothes that I wear for the first time. She always knows, so she smiles and wags her tail to let me know she approves!

Like all our community dogs that live on the road, Gogi is blessed with good health and strength. She's never ill and even though she is 12, she shows no sign of ageing. She's a source of constant joy to the whole family and I always thank God that I stopped my car that day exactly in front of this sweet little angel of a dog.


Vivienne Choudhury

No comments: