About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Monday, October 8, 2007

Tommy and Blacky

This strikingly handsome pair has just been enrolled in the Indian Pariah Dog Club. Here’s what owner Dr Manik Godbole has to say about them:

Tommy, 5 years

I adopted him when he was about three months old.

Tommy has always had an independent attitude, and I had to sweat a lot in order to train him! He likes to make all his own decisions. You can tell from the picture that he’s wondering why I keep pointing that camera thing at him.

Blacky, 4 years

Blacky was about five months old when I adopted him. He is Tommy’s exact opposite both in appearance and temperament. He is so obedient and trainable, he learnt the ‘sit down’ and ‘shake hand’ commands in two days each!

Blacky needs a chew every day, so I always have to keep a stock. He is very possessive of me as well as of Tommy. He yelps and whines if I take Tommy away and leave him behind.

He declines his food, when I board them both at a kennel during my absences from town. The kennel people always tell me, “The black dog missed you more.”

Dr Manik Godbole

No comments: