About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Notty







Notty is not my first pet. I had a pomeranian sixteen years ago. We used to live in Indore in a spacious house which had a big backyard for the dog to move around in and play. We had to give him away since we were going to shift to Bangalore and stay in a flat with limited space. For all these sixteen years almost every day I had been pestering my parents and trying to convince them to get me a pet..and now finally I managed to get one in March 2008. It was unexpected and the best gift I could ever have, 20 march being my birthday!

I have been religiously feeding street dogs, puppies, and kittens till date, but I never really thought of adopting a street dog for a cause! Like most of us even I wanted a pedigree dog. The reason I went for a mix-breed dog is that it was easier for me to convince my parents to get the pup home now.

But let me tell you I never thought I would feel so good about owning a mix-breed. Everyone in my family feels proud to say "Humne adopt kiya!" ("We adopted him"). And I wouldn't say that I have given Notty a loving home...he has made my "home sweet home" sweeter and more loving!

Aarti Subramaniam
Mumbai

Notty is one of the pups Charu Shah put up for adoption.

3 comments:

doggylove said...

hi! i know notty and her mothers story, i am really thankful to u aarti for adopting her, god bless u! wish u a very happy dog ownership, rather companionship!take care, manik.

I'm proud to be an Indian/Desi dog said...

Hi

It surely is a proud thing to own a mix breed pup/dog. I have a four year old and he is a charmer.
Glad Notty has a loving home.

Regards & Best wishes
Malleka
www.dogadoption.in

I'm proud to be an Indian/Desi dog said...

Hi

I'd love for you to write for my website under 'my pet' section which basically is a section for ownres to talk about their pets and especially mix breed pups/dogs.
when you search on google.co.in as 'dog adoption' you get my website as a result as the first or second result. So, i know people do visit it and I'd love for people to indulge more and in the process get encouraged to adopt mix breed dogs by reading different stories of pet families who have already adopted them.
Hope to hear from you.
Malleka
www.dogadoption.in