About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Sheaba





One day in July 2007, my wife Neha received a call from a friend, asking her if she would look after an injured puppy for a month till it recovered. Neha jumped at the chance as she had been wanting to adopt a pup for some time.

So we received Sheaba, injured and very weak particularly in her legs. Neha and I attended to her. She had scars and bruises, but her spirit was never down. She never barked, but she was always ready to play with me. Usually she was up to no good...she would drag down cloths, important papers and so on.


She was tiny then, just over 2 kilos in weight and barely as big as my foot, but she also had a sparkle in her eyes. And she certainly brought a sparkle into our lives!


Predictably, after we had completed one month with Sheaba there was no way my wife would part with her, and despite my anxiety about losing our freedom to travel and other things, I couldn't cause Neha any pain. So I relented and agreed to make Sheaba a permanent member of our family.


Sheaba loves to play on the beach unleashed and jump around in the water. She is extra friendly with strangers but somehow not very friendly with others of her breed.


Now she weighs more than eleven kilos and is my anchor and support in dark times in my life.
I am really happy I decided to adopt her as part of our family.

Shreerang Athalye
Mumbai

No comments: