About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The sweet 'mistakes' of my life



Like it's always been, my two new dogs found me. I didn't go looking for them. In fact, I was busy muttering to myself: No more dogs, no more dogs. But in November last year, in the freezing cold, came in a puppy, all of a month or so old, materializing literally on my doorstep, braving the wrath of Older Dog (the terrier named Yoyo). He was promptly adopted, as there was a slot free, with Senior Older Dog Snoopy having passed on some months ago. We named him Jugnu (which means firefly in Hindi/Urdu).

A month later, a creamy white creature, all of two months old, stuck to me on my walk. I firmly avoided eye contact (that really does you in)...and even vaguely shooed him away. But he walked so firmly with me, that it was clear he had a clearer idea of destiny's game-plan than I did. I made the mistake of looking at his eyes. They were the cutest jet black buttons, full of urgent hope that I would recognize him as my own!

This one was named nothing for a while, because we sort of fooled ourselves that we would fatten him up and give him to someone. Looking in their eyes and naming them - sure way of being hooked. And hooked we are. So this one is Bertie (as in Wooster, don't ask why...later I thought of Masoom and Rumi, or Toby but by this time Bertie was answering to his name). Yoyo wasnt pleased at all, but Jugnu was thrilled - as you can see from this photograph, Jugnu really took him under his wing! They are about ten months old now, and do not fit into that chair together anymore.

Having them has meant realigning my life, adding a second gate so that they dont rush out into neighbours' homes, cooking vast quantities of food, having favourite footwear, artefacts, plants, furniture, etc chewed up, major maintenance work like brushing, bathing, walking, vet visits...I didn't plan to get so tied up again, for sure. But as they say...Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. I'm not complaining!

All my dogs have come to me in this pre-planned manner - meaning they and their Maker plan, and I fall in line - the first one many years ago came by plane, the other one came off a rubbish heap, the third one (current eldest) literally jumped into my car via the window, and now these two.

Gouri Dange
Pune

4 comments:

doggylove said...

Hi Gouri! hope u recognise me!(manik godbole:had come to ur place at pashan for dog biscuits) i never thought we would meet up some day on this site?!! well, congrats for having 2 more kids!! even i broke the rule of having 2 kids, chinky is in, and she she rules!!u will find my mutts if u scroll down. had come to pune in may, but it was a very short trip.we miss ur biscuits!!bye, keep in touch.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant site, I hadn't noticed indianpariahdog.blogspot.com previously during my searches!
Carry on the superb work!

Rajashree Khalap said...

Thanks, glad you like the site!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

This is a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at indianpariahdog.blogspot.com.

Can I use part of the information from this blog post above if I provide a backlink back to this website?

Thanks,
James