About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Thursday, January 8, 2009

A shelter for orphans and dogs





I visited this shelter outside Kolkata on 27 December 2008. It's called Nikhil Bongo Kalyan Samiti and it's very near Thakurpukur.

The concept of a home for abandoned dogs and abandoned children shows a universal humanitarianism which I think is very rare
. What better way to teach these betrayed little humans about trust and loyalty than to have them grow up with dogs? I'm sure the kids and dogs benefit a lot from each other's company.

The shelter also includes a pet cemetery: you can see some of the covered gravestones in the background in the photo above. My sister's dog is buried there and that was the reason for my visit. It's hard to remain unmoved by the messages on the gravestones. Particularly by the grave of a four-month old puppy called Zinca. He seems to have been killed while trying to protect his owner from someone - burglars perhaps.

The dog in the photos is an elderly female called Teli. This amiable creature apparently sleeps most of the time but always gets up to greet visitors and then again to see them off when they are leaving. The perfect hostess.

Kolkata

2 comments:

Lakshmi said...

Amazing and moving! Thank you Rajashree

Rajashree Khalap said...

Update: I heard from my sister that Teli has passed away, of old age.