About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Friday, August 28, 2009

URGENT: Mumbai pup needs a home





Another tiny pup for adoption. This one is very urgent. It was picked up by Namita Shankar from a gutter when the mother rejected it. She has a dog already and severe space constraints, and understandable opposition from her family as a result, so she is really unable to keep it. She has been feeding it an expensive dog-milk substitute and it has become healthy and playful.

Please contact Namita on namittas@yahoo.com

Mumbai

3 comments:

Dechen Dolker said...

I love your blog!! Have been soo miffed with people advocating the neutering of pariah dogs when these buffoons dont realise that they are destroying a gene pool that has adapted to the harshest conditions!!!!

I cant seem to email you for some reason, but how do I join the club? Am in Delhi btw, is there anything here?

Rajashree Khalap said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rajashree Khalap said...

Hi, thanks, I'm so glad you like my blog :-) If you own a Pariah Dog or a Pariah-mix dog, I can email you a membership form to fill up. If you don't own a dog but would still like to be added to my email network, let me know. My email id is rajashree DOT khalap AT gmail DOT com

Re neutering, it is a very good idea in cities where dog populations tend to become huge (thanks to poor hygiene in our third world cities and lots of exposed garbage). Overpopulation simply turns the public against dogs. Where neutering is not done, the dogs often get killed as in the case of the Meerut dog massacre which I wrote about a few months ago. In most cities, the dogs are most probably hybridized with eurobreeds so they are not a pure gene pool anyway. The pure ancient line of dogs are in remoter areas, such as tribal villages in some parts of the country.