About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Felix

Felix means "happy" and "lucky" and it's easy to see this pup was given exactly the right name. Meenakshee Soman tells us how he took over her life and won a host of friends and admirers...









July 11, 2009

Little did I know that it was going to be a significant day in my life. The day when the much coveted, long dreamed-for wish was going to come true.

Yes, it was the day when Felix (as we later christened him) found me. I was on a leisure trip to Vijapur at Karnataka, when we saw four lads roaming around with this cute puppy in their hands. We had an instant connect with his small black innocent eyes, clean little body and brownish fur. And there started his road journey with me. From Vijapur to Solapur and then to Thane where we reside. Since we were destined to be together no man or circumstances could be a challenge in this journey.

From irregular toilet manners to eating habits and a major food poisoning event, we shared everything. He learned something new every day just like a human baby. Still chews on every bit of furniture available, now he's into the process of getting rid of the milk teeth and acquiring a set of permanent teeth. He endears himself to one and all with his doting love.

Of course there are some people who would like to do away with him. But they are few and far between compared to the people who love him. He's a friend of kids and another child to my dad. He's so famous in the locality that people know where he stays. In fact I am sure I am known as his caretaker, "kaku" and "atya" ("aunt") as kids fondly call me.

Two of the biggest surprises were when a bunch of kids landed up at our home with friendship bands and rings to be tied on him on Friendship Day. In consolation I also got a few. The second surprise was when around 14 kids got together and threw a birthday party for me last year.

Today he is boisterous with few who can match his energy. He’s now an integral part of my life. Who else showers such unconditional love and loyalty...those are things I've learned from him.

Text and photos: Meenakshee Soman
Thane

3 comments:

charu shah said...

what a wonderful story!

Unknown said...

Really nice!!!

Sarita said...

Thanks for sharing! It touches my heart when I see so much love for other living beings. It builds my hope for humanity!