About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

South-East Asian Pariah Dog





These pictures were taken by Dr Radhika Das on Pulao Ubin island off Singapore. The second picture is of the Taoist shrine outside which this dog was clicked.

Dog enthusiast and expert Gautam Das believes the dog is probably "either 3/4 or 7/8 pure native village dog (Kampong Dog), with the other 1/4 or 1/8 being German Shepherd Dog (GSD). In India at any rate, only GSD admixture with our INDog produces the common GSD tan-with-black-saddle colour pattern, as seen here."

Readers travelling in Asia, Africa, Central and South Amercia - may I request you to look out for local pariah-type dogs and click them for this blog? Please email them to me at rajashree DOT khalap AT gmail DOT com

Radhika, thanks for permitting me to use these pictures!

Photos: Radhika Das, PhD
Pulao Ubin Island,
Singapore

5 comments:

Lam Chun See said...

Hi there Rajashree. You certainly have an interesting blog here.

And thanks for visiting my blog. Have you read this post of mine where I talked about my encounter with some friendly stray dogs in Singapore.

I will email the original photos to you later when I am free.

Rajashree Khalap said...

Hi and thanks! I hadn't seen that post before, read it now and loved it. Btw does Kampong Dog roughly mean "native dog" or "village dog?"
Thanks very much for the cute puppy pictures from Ipoh. I'll post them soon. He looks like his ears will be totally upright when he grows up.

I totally empathize with your disgust at the trash you saw in the Jurong line. Exposed garbage is a huge problem in India and most people have practically no civic sense here. I've mentioned this in some of my posts about dogs in forest areas.

Anonymous said...

I just added this web site to my rss reader, great stuff. Cannot get enough!

Ng Wei Kiang said...

Dear Sir,
With all due respect, I regret to point out that the red structure in the second photograd is a Taoist Shrine, not an eatery. Thanks.
With Regards,
Ng Wei Kiang

Rajashree Khalap said...

Ng Wei Kiang - thank you for the correction! I'll change it at once in the text.