About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Dislocation 1



This is a dog I saw on 29 October in the park near our house. I'd never seen him before though I walk there every day.

He had a notched ear (see the picture below), indicating that he has been neutered under the Animal Birth Control programme.



The reason the pictures are blurred: he was scared and running frantically around the park and wouldn't stand still for very long. He seemed to have been dropped by mistake in my area, presumably after being sterilized by one of the non-profit organizations in the city.

Probably sensing my sympathy, he came and stood next to me for a few seconds (that's when I clicked the picture above). Then he started running again, as if desperately looking for a way out of there but scared to go because of all the dogs outside.


I wanted so badly to help him in some way - but how?

Late that night I heard the unmistakable sounds of dogs fighting - howls, snarls, screams - from the dark sea face and park. Fairly easy to guess it had something to do with the local dogs objecting to the presence of the newcomer.


The next morning I couldn't go to the park but my husband reported that he had seen the dog of my photo, running around like before. That night there were howls, screams and fighting again.

The third morning the dog was gone.

This is the seventh dog that has been dumped in this part of the street (SBS Marg) in the past year.

All had notched ears, all were terrified and running, and the night following their arrival there was fighting and howling on the seafront. Except for three, they all seem to have met with the same fate as this poor pale dog of 29 October. Probably they were hounded out of the area by the local dogs, because neither my husband nor I ever saw them again. I hope at least some of them survived and reached their original neighbourhood.


I don't blog about animal welfare much because there are already many excellent sites that cover welfare topics. But as a dog lover I can't help being deeply depressed by the plight of the displaced dogs. Surely any dog lover would hate to see such a thing?

Mumbai

Do read more in Dislocation 2

No comments: