About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Tansy

Adele Carroll's touching story about beautiful INDog-mix Tansy, and how she made the journey from Goa to the UK:



I rescued Tansy in 2002 from Goa where I was on holiday. I instantly fell in love with her and started to feed her as she was obviously a street dog. She was heavily pregnant and I was concerned for her welfare as I knew that if she had the puppies in the grounds of the hotel she would probably be destroyed as the hotel was very strict about street dogs coming onto the complex, even though most of the (British) tourists loved and cared for them.

When she had had her eight puppies and had regained her strength, I managed to have her sent to England with the help and advice of a vet in Goa.



Tansy flew from Mumbai to London Heathrow in November 2002 and then had to spend six months in quarantine (photos above), which seemed like forever.

During this time, which was through the winter, her coat grew from the rough and short 'pariah' coat into a beautiful thick and long golden coat, like a princess!





She came home in May 2003 and she has been pampered and loved ever since.





She still keeps her distinctive pariah 'look' (although with a little bit more weight!) and gentle characteristics, she is also extremely clever.

Needless to say, she cost a fortune to bring over and I had to get a bank loan, but I loved her so much, I just did what I could to rescue her and make sure her puppies were vaccinated and housed.



Above: Tansy wondering what snow is!







Above: Some recent pictures of Tansy in the snow. She loves playing in it, but I think is totally baffled as to what it is!

Photos and story: Adele Carroll
Lymington, Hampshire
UK

5 comments:

georgia little pea said...

How interesting that Tansy's coat grew out in the colder weather. Is that what happens to short haired dogs all the time?

Rajashree Khalap said...

No not at all, check posts about Deepa (in Switzerland), Durga, Pete in Canada, Puppy in Canada, Lisa Perrine's Otis and Rhada, Yvonne's Rishi and Leela - all retained their short coats even in very cold winters overseas. Tansy must have a bit of some long-haired breed in her ancestry somewhere. However her fur wouldn't have grown so long if she'd stayed in Goa.

Have you seen my Bandra's pictures? http://indianpariahdog.blogspot.com/search?q=Bandra
When I adopted him I knew he was mix-breed because of his head shape, but I had no idea he was going to grow long-haired. I've been told that dogs don't grow their full coat if they live a stressful life. When he started living with us the stress must have disappeared and he started looking like he was supposed to.

wandereress said...

She's a beauty! Adele you're her angel:)

Adele said...

That's so sweet of you to say that Wandereress

Eileen Weintraub said...

Tansy is beautiful , fascinating that her coat grew out with the change in weather and good diet. May she rest in peace now, which she will after such a good life with you. Good luck with your new INdog and many blessings for helping them and also your help to VSPCA with Trooper. Just read your email and many thanks for your kind contribution there.