About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

INDog in the East

This year's first "success story" is about Shanti: possibly the first INDog ever to have travelled to Japan!

Beautiful red Shanti belongs to Scott Rothstein. I have to admit, I'm a bit partial to red dogs, obviously because of Lalee!



"When I was living in Delhi (2000-4) we found this dog on the streets," writes Scott. "At that time, she was almost dead. You could see every bone in her body and she was very sick.

"We took her in and she has been with us ever since."



"After Delhi, she lived in Tokyo for four years and now lives with us in Bangkok...

"Very happy people are starting to care about these dogs !"

And I'm so happy to hear of another loved and cared-for Indi. Hoping to hear of many more this year!


Photos: Scott Rothstein
Bangkok
Thailand

8 comments:

georgia little pea said...

You're doing a great job of collecting all these rescue travel stories! There is, or used to be, an indog in the area where I live. There was a writeup about him/her more than a year back, with name of Poona. I've been hoping to meet Poona ever since but no luck so far. Maybe they moved away.

Hope you had a fantastic start to the new year. Best wishes for an exciting, interesting, happy one in 2011! :)

Rajashree Khalap said...

Thanks! Nice to know there's an INDog in Australia :-) Usually people avoid taking them to countries with quarantine.

Happy New Year to you and your family too!

georgia little pea said...

Yes, it's true. The quarantine is horrendous, but easier these days I'm told, by someone who brought her dog over from the U.K. Don't know about dogs from India.

The article mentioned how many thousands they had spent on bringing her over too! If memory swerves me right, it was more than 20,000 dollars. Is this even possible? That sounds a bit fantastical to me, but I think I may be right.

georgia little pea said...

Yes, it's true. The quarantine is horrendous, but easier these days I'm told, by someone who brought her dog over from the U.K. Don't know about dogs from India.

The article mentioned how many thousands they had spent on bringing her over too! If memory swerves me right, it was more than 20,000 dollars. Is this even possible? That sounds a bit fantastical to me, but I think I may be right.

Unknown said...

i read about u in femina n i was so happy that finally some1 is there 2 care for these dogs.....every time i see a stray dog i feel like takin all of them home....i feel really bad b coz people go the breeded dogs n not these dogs wen they can be great pets....i wish i was staying in mumbai i would have helped u but i m from goa....luv u for ur work god bless u

Unknown said...

i love your work .....u r such an inspiration 2 all of us....i'm oshin fernandes from goa....i really wish 2 be a part of ur team...i love stray dogs n believe that they can be great pets....

silentdreams said...

can someone plz guide me f i can take an indian pariah to US ad what is the procedure and the cost for the same???

Rajashree Khalap said...

silentdreams, please contact this company: http://furryflyers.com/pet_export_worldwide.html