About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Saturday, March 19, 2011

A visitor's view of INDogs

I want to share this nice email from dog lover Anna Kaminska, because it's such a perfect description of our dogs! Anna is from Poland.

"I was In India, and all the time I was thinking that all those 'homeless' dogs have very much in common, that they must be one breed. I loved them! And as I could see, the dogs love people.

The first few times I thought that the dogs I met were somebody’s. They acted like trained dogs, they looked like they understood me perfectly. I played with them and they did everything I wanted. I wanted them to stay, they stayed, I wanted them to follow, they did it!

My Indian friends told me that they are not trained. They are street dogs. I couldn't believe it!

I'm sure that over many years, the best chance to survive for them was to be friendly and follow people. I think aggressive dogs naturally wouldn't have survived. This is the best breed of dogs I know. I'm sure in future I will adopt a couple. Now I already have too many animals!!
"
Thanks Anna for this first-hand account. Now I wish more Indians were as appreciative and insightful about Indian dogs!

2 comments:

doggylove said...

yes indeed, very apt remarks!, i have seen many times, street dogs crossing the rd, on the signal junction, watching the moves of people and cars,quietly they stand behind u, or by ur side, and start walking as if u said 'heel',when u cross the rd!!also if they r venturing into new territory, they always take help of passers by,making their presence less felt by walking with the commuters! and those sweet pies who sleep right on the dividers, peacefully, unawares of the chaotic traffic!in my locality, most of them sleep on benches!!will post a pics sometime!!!

Rajashree Khalap said...

As a child I'd hear my mother joke that the pi-dogs were "Calsatians" (Calcutta Alsatians!) and I used to wonder why people thought them mongrels when they all looked so like each other and quite unlike Alsatians or any other foreign breeds! Remember in Indian languages the word for them is "desi" or the equivalent, which means "native," not "mixed." There was very little mongrelization at that time because pet-owners were mostly responsible people.