About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Monday, June 20, 2011

Bandu revisited



Some pictures of Bandu and me, taken by my friend Aarti on June 1 in Moharli, Tadoba.

Perhaps you've read about Bandu in these earlier posts - Bandu, my forest friend and
Is Bandu less interesting than a tiger?

On this trip I didn't get a booking at the MTDC lodge and had to stay at another resort. But I made it a point to go to MTDC to visit my brindled friend.

It was really hot, and Bandu and his pack-mates were clearly very uncomfortable. After greeting me and letting me pat him, he and his friends went and lay down in a flower bed. The plants had been watered and the mud was cool and wet.

Oh, and I also saw two tigers, a bear, a muntjac, a brown fish owl and a dhole family on this extremely short trip, and you can see all those pictures in my other blog if you like - but a visit to Tadoba is not complete without meeting Bandu, the "little tiger" as my driver called him!

Photo: Aarti Phatarphekar
Moharli
Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve

3 comments:

nazrul said...

is bandu naturally bob-tailed and are there few INDogs who are like that?

Rajashree Khalap said...

No, not natural, his tail and ears are cropped. Read the story "Bandu my forest friend" (link in this post), I've mentioned his cropped tail and ears there. It seems villagers who kept/keep dogs for hunting often crop their ears and tails.

Smita said...

Its great to see Bandu again !