About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Monday, October 24, 2011

Could people please ask for permission before using pictures from this blog?



First the good news: the media have covered the topic of noisy crackers and their effect on animals several times this season. I hope this will lead to a quieter, less traumatic Diwali for dogs and cats.

The not-so-good news, for me at least, is that one of these newspapers has used a photograph from this blog without acknowledgment or permission. If you've been following the posts here you might recognize the dog in this article. She's my lovely old girl Puppy who died in January this year, and the source of the photo is this post from November 2010.

Probably I should just feel pleased that more people are visiting this blog than I had previously imagined, that my photography is more widely appreciated than I had imagined, and that Puppy is "modelling" for a cause even months after her death. But funnily I am not feeling pleased at all. Apart from the issue of courtesy, Puppy was my family member though to others she may be "just another dog." I would have given permission if asked; what's so difficult about asking?

"Proof that good intentions and good manners don't go together. Feeling does not justify stealing!" as my husband remarked. I couldn't have put it better.

No comments: