About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Brocoly

Pretty Brocoly lives with Tursha Sarkar and her family in Kolkata. She is three years old and the adored baby of the house.

Tursha's account of 'the best pet in this world':





My father is a civil engineer and a dog lover too. In fact I am from an animal lover family.

Three years ago my father was constructing a building here in Kolkata. One day he told me that on the ground floor of that building a dog had given birth two beautiful pups, one of them was Brocoly of course and the other one her brother.

After I heard that I started to visit the place almost every day. They were so small and gentle to touch.

Suddenly one day my father told me that they had had an accident the previous night, thanks to a drunk
and irresponsible biker. Brocoly's brother died immediately because the biker had ridden the bike on to his stomach.

The next day I found Brocoly with a serious injury in her left paw.When I reached her she was lying almost unconscious on the floor. I picked her up and brought her home.

We spent a sleepless night. She was then just 20 days old. The next morning my father and I gave her a bath with antiseptic and baby shampoo, and in the evening we visited the doctor for a check-up and treatment. From that night she used to sleep beside me with lots of protection (pillows surrounding her, warm blanket).

Though my father and I both love pets, my mother wasn't as fond of them at first until the following incident.

I went to my aunt's house for a two day visit. On returning from there I found everyone very disturbed and Brocoly just lying on my mother's lap with eyes closed. The previous night she had vomited six times and been unable to eat anything. The doctor said that she had got a severe viral infection and had only a 50 per cent chance of surviving.

It was the worst day in my life, I didn't eat or even drink for three days.

After three days she started to recover very fast. And for five days she had saline drips twice a day. From that time onwards she has been the closest to my mother among all of us!

Story and photos: Tursha Sarkar
Kolkata

No comments: