About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Friday, March 14, 2014

Chocos and Jelly outdoors

I really love these photos of beautiful Chocos and her daughter Jelly, sent by owner Vandana last December. 

























How lucky these dogs are. Though they aren't exactly in a rural area, there is obviously a lot of open space, greenery, even goats and cattle around. Enough for them to experience the life of village dogs; the life their ancestors lived. 

I sense a rather self-congratulatory tone in many big-city Indy adopters, perhaps justifiable since they have, after all, saved the lives of street dogs. 

Of course being in an urban house or apartment is safer than living on a city street. But I wonder whether one can call the lives of these city pets really high-quality in spite of the safety and all the sofas and beds and cushions they get to lie on; the fancy dog treats, collars and gear and birthday parties and Facebook accounts. 

These are poor compensations for having to walk always on leash, always on concrete, never getting to explore or discover, never getting to interact freely with other dogs, never getting to use their sharp brains. For having to live most of their lives cooped up indoors. 

My favourite thing is to see INDogs getting the best of both worlds, like Chocos and her daughters!



Jelly watching cattle

Chocos with her best friend: a male Indy who spends most of his time with her

Chocos trying to blend in with a flock of goats

                   Climbing onto walls and high places is a very Indy thing
Please do not use images or content from this site without permission and acknowledgment

Photos: Vandana SB
Palakkad
Kerala















2 comments:

Unknown said...

I live in a suburban area and yes, my InDog wears a leash when I walk her for 45 minutes every night through the neighborhood. She doesn't seem to mind when she is greeted by friends, children and neighbors, who speak happy baby talk to her and rub her belly.

She also attends daycare once a week, which is outdoors. It is not a village or a farm, and yet, every time we pull up to the parking lot (in our car where, again, she is leashed for her safety), she shivers in anticipation of seeing her friends and having all day to spend being a dog with other dogs. They even have birthday parties and she seems just as happy on those days as any other.

She does indeed get fancy treats and pretty collars. She also spends hours chasing birds in the back yard, running on the beach and splashing in the ocean, riding on our boat, playing in the park, meeting new people and animals at the pet store and cuddling on the couch with Mommy who rubs her head until she falls asleep.

I hope I don't sound self-congratulatory. I simply live where I live and want to give my precious InDog the best life I have available to give her. I am sure those who live in big cities and small villages want the same.

Isn't the absolute beauty of these "wild" and free-roaming dogs that they have thrived amongst humans, despite all of the challenges, for hundreds of years? I am certain that urban and suburban life is just as stimulating to their "dogness" as anywhere else.

If my Indie could choose, I think she would stay where she is, with mommy, daddy and kitties right here in the suburbs.

Rajashree Khalap said...

You don't sound self-congratulatory at all Cynthia :) Thanks for the comment. Your dog is very lucky. You clearly take a lot of trouble to give her the outdoor time and interactions with other dogs that INDogs thrive on. But I cannot agree that all big city owners try to give their dogs the best life possible. While all of us do not have access to beautiful outdoor spaces, I do know many dedicated owners who make that extra effort to make their dogs really happy. And there are many others who don't exercise their dogs adequately, or ever take them anywhere, as if rescuing them and giving them food and shelter is good enough. I want to promote the former kind of ownership for Indies.