About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Monday, May 19, 2014

Tippu of Kozhikode

This is a different Tippu from our handsome friend in Thrissur with the same name. This Tippu is also in Kerala, looks very similar and is as handsome! 



















To avoid confusion I'm going to refer to this pup as Tippu of Kozhikode, and the older one as Tippu of Thrissur. 

Tippu of Kozhikode was adopted by Elvis Shaji on his college campus in Adoor, Pathanamthitta district. He was around four weeks old at the time.






















'I found him on my college grounds, along with eight other pups, scared to death and shy,' says Elvis.
'They were probably left there by someone who couldn't manage all of them.

'If anyone went close to the pups, only one of them would respond with a growl and a bark. I took that puppy with me to my hostel, where I gave him a place to sleep and a feeding bowl. He was scared of my room-mates, but soon overcame his fear.

'When he was around two months old I took him to my home at Kozhikode (Calicut).

'He is about three and a half months old. I don't know his exact age. I took him to a vet for a complete check-up and vaccinations.

'Now he roams freely in the yard, chasing cats, digging holes and sleeping. He eats little compared to other dogs, but isn't too lean so there is no reason to suspect any problem. Chasing and being chased are his favourite games. And he yelps a lot!

'His playful nature makes it hard to take photos.'























Photos and text: Elvis Shaji
Kozhikode
Kerala

Please do not use images or content from this site without permission and acknowledgment

2 comments:

amee said...

tippu you look handsome......

Samir said...

very good my dear :)