About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Tuffy

Assam is full of beautiful perfect INDogs, and Tuffy is no exception.

She lives with Mala Dutta and her family in Guwahati.
























'Tuffy came into our lives one stormy night in April, six years ago,' says Mala. 'She was a little pup. She had squeezed herself under our gate and taken shelter from the rain under our car. 

'My grandpa heard her whimpering and brought her into the house. The rest is history...

'At that time we had our 12-year old beloved mix-breed dog Jonky who was the life of our house. When Tuffy "adopted" us, I remember telling my mother that perhaps Jonky would be leaving us soon and that this was God's way of making sure we wouldn't be without a dog after he was gone. 

'Sure enough...Jonky died in August that very year. Leaving the entire family heartbroken beyond words. Specially my mother.

'After burying Jonky in our garden I broke down, crying uncontrollably. 

'Tuffy, just a few months old then, refused to leave my side all day. She didn't even go to eat. She started licking my face, non-stop. Coming from a family of passionate dog lovers, I had adored Tuffy the moment I saw her. But it was at this time, when she licked my face lovingly and tried to comfort me, that I really fell in love with her.

'She is highly intelligent, energetic, affectionate, gentle, with an extraordinary ability to communicate!'


Tuffy a few years ago








































































Photos and story: Mala Dutta
Guwahati
Assam

Please do not use images or content from this site without permission and acknowledgment

1 comment:

Samir said...

thnx mala n rajashree for sharing this good news :)
samir