About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Bini completes my life




















Bini used to live on the street below my house, Regal Cinema at Colaba. Her full name is Binodini; she was named after the heroine of the film Chokher Bali, which was showing at Regal at the time. (If you've seen the film, you'll understand why - Bini has the same melting eyes). She was energetic, lavish in her diplay of affection and completely besotted with my pet dog Ronnie. One day I found her sitting very quietly, only to discover that she had blobs of pus where her nails should have been. Even after a month of medication and dressing there was scant improvement, so on the doctor's advice I brought her home. It took her six weeks to recover and her address permanently changed from Regal Cinema ground floor to Regal Cinema second floor.

Binodini has been with me three years now, and I've seen so many avatars of her. Bini the shredder - she was equally fond of decimating bed sheets and new dogs in the area. Bini the affection dispenser - I just step into the house and she's all over me. Bini the scavenger - no matter what I feed her, the contents of the dustbin are always more alluring. Bini the coward - she can't handle our ginger cat Champak. Bini the race horse - she runs through my passage in a flash.

Its funny, when I had my earlier pet Sonia, also from the street below my house, I thought she was the most beautiful dog in the world. She was jet black, sleek with erect ears, she was quiet and undemanding, just the way a dog should be. Bini's all white except for a patch of brown on her. She has beautiful expressive eyes; she is vivacious, maddeningly affectionate; aggressive with strangers and sometimes friends - just the way a dog is meant to be.

Daisy Sidhwa

3 comments:

I'm proud to be an Indian/Desi dog said...

I respect you for the affection you have shown towards Bini. Not every dog is as lucky as her to find such a loving and caring family. Its admirable that you took on a grown up dog as your pet and that too one that was on the street.

Its a fight here in delhi to find female pups homes. people have their reservations and do not even wish to listen to one about the solutions or myths related to their concerns.

I'd really like for you to write something or my blog (www.indianbreed.blogspot.com) too. This way people can get more comfortable with the idea of adopting female pets.

You can see my Pet Soker here on Rajashrees blog. Also, she has added my blog link.
Thanks and God Bless

Unknown said...

Can anyone tell where can I adopt Indian pariah puppies

Unknown said...

Can you tell me where I can adopt Indian pariah puppies