About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Monday, September 17, 2007

Veenu



Veenu came like a burst of sunshine into the lives of me, my husband and my father-in-law sometime in the first half of 2003. And life for us has never been the same ever since.

For me, having a dog is as natural as breathing as I have grown up with dogs and cats all around me. But for my husband this was a whole new ball game as he had never had pets ever in his life. However, Veenu just fitted into the family and today is also my father-in-law’s shadow.

I remember getting a call from Daisy Sidhwa, WSD's Adoption Manager. She told me that there was this little pup that was ready for adoption in case I was interested. Though my husband had a few misgivings, I went to the kennel only to immediately fall in love with a tiny little fidgety pup that just didn’t seem to sit still even for a moment. It was love at first sight for both Veenu and me, and after the formalities (I made sure it took as little time as possible), she was happily in a cab speeding away to her new home.

There were no adjustment problems and Veenu promptly made herself at home. As small as she was, she took it upon herself to make friends with a cat that we had earlier rescued. Now Nobby (my cat) and Veenu are great friends though they have their share of ups and downs.

Veenu today is the highlight in Ashu’s and my lives and both of us look forward to the exuberant welcome that she gives us each time one of us comes home from our jobs or even a trip to the grocery store. I am grateful that Daisy made that call that day so that Veenu could come into our lives. I hope that some day when we have a bigger house, we will be able to adopt one more from the kennel.

Candida Moraes

2 comments:

Vishakha said...

Hieee,

Awesome wotrk done.. Congratulations :). Keep rocking and teaching

Can i add your website to our friends list ? :)

http://adoptstrays.blogspot.com

Rajashree Khalap said...

Sure you can. Glad you like our blog.