About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Scratchy dog? Try this home remedy


I wanted to share this great remedy I used on Lalee last year.

I don’t know about other cities, but the Mumbai monsoon is peculiarly harmful for dogs. (Itchy skin is the least of the problems really – licking rainwater often seems to push the poor things into an extremely virulent kind of bloody diarrhoea).

Anyway, last year Lalee started scratching a lot and actually made small cuts all over her body. The doctor told me to mix these three things: equal parts powdered camphor and haldi (turmeric), and enough coconut oil to make a smooth thick liquid. I applied this mixture all over her, muzzled her and kept her on the balcony for 30 minutes. (At the end of that time the balcony walls were all yellow, but at least the new colour scheme hadn’t been spread to the rest of the house). I then led a highly indignant Lalee to the bathroom, leaving a trail of yellow paw prints, and bathed her with Margo soap, which seems to be a really good neem soap. (And yes, the bathroom also turned yellow).

Her scratching reduced by at least 95% with just this treatment and she soon had her beautiful coat back. For those interested in unimportant details, the walls were also restored to their former beauty after a bit of scrubbing.

If your dog has a really serious skin problem, for instance with pus or some other symptom, please DON”T try this without first checking with your vet. If he suffers from allergies, DON’T try this. But in simpler cases I don’t think it could do any harm as long as the dog doesn’t lick the mixture. If your dog is white, perhaps he will retain a yellowish hue for a while after this treatment – but it certainly won’t be permanent. Anyway, isn’t that a very small price to pay for a no-longer-scratchy dog?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like the balance of micro level specific info and macro level trends that the entire blog reflects!

Rajashree Khalap said...

Thanks! If you want any particular topic covered let me know, I'll try and get the info.

lubna said...

Hi
Nico soap used to work for my doggie during the Mumbai monsoons. In fact, we used the same brand of soap (not the same bar of soap) ;-)

Lakshmi said...

Could you tell me whether the camphor you're referrring to is the one we use for artis or the edible variety (which is more refined)?Do mail me at laaraa62@gmail.com

Rajashree Khalap said...

I used the same camphor that is used for artis, but crushed it into coarse powder