About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Trixie







The photo on top is of the late Trixie, a very beautiful INDog owned for many years by Lt Col Gautam Das (retd). Colonel Das is a great Indian dog enthusiast and a member of Primitive and Aboriginal Dogs Society (PADS). He was promoting the cause of Indian native dog recognition long before I got into the act. In fact, the name "INDog" was coined by him and has been used by a number of primitive dog experts for some time now.

Colonel Das is a great fan of Indian pure breeds too - we all hope INDogs will join that category some day! I love these childhood photos of him with his first dog Piki, an Apso from a high Himalayan village in the Spiti area of Himachal Pradesh. (Incidentally, the Apso is really an Indo-Tibetan breed, and not just Tibetan).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great article on these ancient dogs, seems like the look a little like the doberman breeds, also.

Eleanor Vatsa said...

I am a Finnish Pariah/primitive dog enthusiast and came across this blog while searching for information about INdogs.

This is a wonderful and informative site. I think it is good that people all around the world are starting to appreciate local native breeds, mutts, mongrels and stray dogs and adopt them as pets. I am a proud owner af a former Russian stray and she is just the perfect dog. (She actually looks just like an INdog but with longer fur. She is possibly a laika or laika-mix, also a pariah type breed, very primitive, with strong hunting insticts.)

I wish you good luck with your efforts in the cause of INdogs and strays!

Rajashree Khalap said...

Thanks! I'd love to see a photo of your dog if possible - laikas are beautiful.

Eleanor Vatsa said...

You can see my dog Nana in my blog www.karvainenkirja.blogspot.com. The blog is in Finnish but you can see her right in the front page in the title bar and in the side bar.

Rajashree Khalap said...

She's lovely! I see you have also written about Carolina dogs - so like our INDogs.

Eleanor Vatsa said...

Thanks! Yes, in the blog I introduce primitive and pariah breeds. INdogs will be next in turn.

Rajashree Khalap said...

Great, looking forward to that! If you like I can mail you photos of pure INDogs taken in remote and rural areas, so your readers get an idea of the type.