About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Sunday, April 12, 2009

An INDog in Berlin



Above: Elke with Indy (aged four months) at Red Fort, Agra, where she first met him


Above: First day at his new home


Above: Lake Grunewaldsee, Berlin
Below: Posing nicely!




This is Indy, another lucky little INDog whose life was changed by a very kind dog lover. He was born in Agra but has been living in Berlin for many years now, with his rescuer Elke Winkler.

Elke told me his story:


One day, in the year 1999, on my visit to India I met a little dog, very young, skinny and dirty. I was very concerned and contacted an animal welfare organization for help.


Finally, back in Germany, after I read a book about the situation of strays in India, I decided to take this dog home with me to Germany. This happened three months later.


The day I took him with me, we went by taxi to the airport and the driver asked me: "Where did you get this dog from, he looks so beautiful?" So I told him, "From the street. If you treat them well they will all look the same."


I never regret that I took him with me, he is great and adapted himself very well in this country.
In Germany when I walk with him, people ask me very often what pedigree he is and I am always very proud to say that he is an Indian dog. He is ten years old and a bit wiser now but still playful. He is just wonderful!

Elke Winkler
Berlin, Germany


Rajashree's note: Elke
remained in contact with the NGO who had helped Indy, People For Animals, Agra. She returns there regularly in her vacation time to volunteer at their shelter.

No comments: