About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

People throw stones at me - please give me a home!

These pictures and the appeal come from Nicole Poyyayil, who has already adopted two beautiful INDogs and is looking after street dogs Nils and Prem too. Poor Nils gets ill-treated for just being a dog, and for doing something most dogs of his age do: chewing shoes. Well, we all know by now that our country's reputation for tolerance is just a myth. So I'm depressed but not surprised by this latest sad story from Ahmedabad.



From Nicole: This is Nils, a very handsome and lovely mix-breed dog, presently living in my compound. He is less than one year old, has been dewormed and will be vaccinated and sterilized this week. He urgently needs a loving home and is waiting to become someone's best friend. Please help me find him a loving home to stay. He is not welcome in my neighbourhood since he damages shoes at night...people warned me to stop feeding him and alowing him to stay inside the compound. They want him to disappear as soon as possible...

He seems to be very much used to stay with humans but is scared of dominant dogs and rarely joins other street dogs in the area. He is a lovely dog, playful because of his young age, very attached to people who like him and he would be a perfect pet dog....please give him a chance!

If you would like to adopt Nils, please contact me on 91 96 875 242 69. Please help me find him a home before he gets badly injured, or worse!



"I hate people throwing stones at me, please take me home!!!"



"Whenever other street dogs spot me, they mostly attack me. I love to play with other young dogs but I'm scared of the big guys...

If you already have a dog, I can adjust very well. I also like children...I would be a perfect family dog."



"As you can see, I like chewing shoes...that's what we dogs like to do at this age...but if you take me to your home you could give me toys to chew and I'm sure your shoes won't be interesting to me.

People here hate me because of this habit and I really wish to find a safe and lovely place to stay..."



"This is me with one of my neighbour's shoes, after I'd finished playing with it..."

Please circulate this appeal. For information and adoption, contact Nicole on 91 96 875 242 69
or npoyyayil@yahoo.com

Ahmedabad

10 comments:

Rajashree Khalap said...

I wonder why these intelligent people haven't considered keeping their shoes inside their houses at night? Or on a window sill or some high place that he can't reach? It would just need to be done for a few more months till he grows out of this habit.

Sarah said...

I was thinking the same thing. I mean .. it's really not too much to ask. Pete absolutely loves my slippers and has chewed them periodically .. why? Well because I leave my closet door open and they are soft, furry and he just loves them. Who's fault? Mine.

He looks like such a lovely dog, hopeful that something will work out for him.

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read this article. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Writers Unite. said...

Nice blog check mine if you have time for the latest on the very best in Birmingham Graffiti.

http://www.bham-graff.info

Yours Faithfully said...

You are doing such amazing work! God bless you. I live in the U.S., hence can't adopt Nils. Did he find a good home?

doggylove said...

hi! the problem with people is they make it a ego issue, why shold i keep my shoes high up? for a dogs sake? they compare themselves with dogs!!!

Rajashree Khalap said...

Nils has been placed in a shelter for now, along with another street dog Nicole has been feeding. That city seems to be full of stupid and uncivilized people unfortunately. Like many other Indian cities.

Anonymous said...

it's very sad that many people do not realize that dogs are a gift to mankind and i feel sorry for those who don't understand the true love and affection they are deprieved of......................

Rajashree Khalap said...

I agree! But sadly everyone doesn't deserve a dog. The people who throw away pets like old toys - they aren't fit to own dogs and cats and they're no better than people who throw stones.