About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Indy and the cat, Part 7

Continuing our Awwww stories for cat + dog lovers. This one's from Charu Shah, whose red tabby Bittu has his own blog. I am a huge fan of large tabby toms and dream of kidnapping this magnificent feline some day (just dreaming...don't worry, Charu).

For those who'd like to know what our non-pedigreed cats are "officially" called: it's Domestic Indian Short-hair.

From Charu:

Bittu is my pet cat, who came into our lives around 8 years back and changed us totally!
His story can be read on www.mypetbittu.blogspot.com

AN INCIDENT THAT HAPPENED RECENTLY (MARCH 2010) WHICH I WANT TO SHARE WITH EVERYONE

After Bittu came home we started noticing other animals in our building, so slowly Rani started getting food from us. Rani is now a 13 year old doggy. I didn't have too much knowledge of sterilization etc, so I let rani have pups. Out of the many she delivered outside and within my building, a couple are still with us. Tutti, the elder one, who is now six years old and Julie, who is 4.5 years old now.

There are other cats also, Tiny, Kali, Simba, Stumpy/Champi, and new additions - two ginger males and one black cat.

Bittu was attacked by a male cat when he was just 1 year old, and he was in a real bad condition at that time. So naturally we kept him safe from any other cat or dog. Specially Julie, since she had a habit of killing pigeons and kittens. There were times when I rescued pigeons from her mouth and gave them to NGOs for recovery. (If Julie had been a stray dog, hunting for food, I would have let her kill the birds, but since she gets enough food there was no reason for her to kill them).

When Bittu went out for his walks Mom or I would be with him, and at night, when the dogs would come running on seeing me with bittu, I would panic and carry Bittu home.

Gradually I started to let Bittu be (I am always around him as he is blind and can't protect himself), and let the dogs come near him, but not too close. At times, Tutti would come and lick Bittu, but she was the gentle one so I never worried about her hurting him.

This is the story of Bittu and Julie.

Bittu loves to roam around the back of my house. So every time the door is opened to fill water bowls for the dogs, he manages to run out! This time I went and strolled with him for some time and then put him on the water tank. Julie as usual saw me going out of the house, so followed. She jumped up and came to sit next to me and Bittu. Julie loves to sit next to me and get her head rubbed, shake hands and wants to lick me, which I don't allow.



Julie came and sat next to Bittu. Even at night she runs after him trying to make him play with her, but he gets scared and just runs away! Even here, you can see Bittu's reaction to Julie sitting next to him.



She moved in closer to try and play.





This is how she showed her love!!!!!

I couldn't believe how she licked his forehead and tried to make friends with him!

TO EVERYONE WHO BLAMES STRAY DOGS FOR KILLING THEIR CATS, PLEASE LOOK AT THIS PIC. IF YOUR CAT HAS BEEN KILLED BY A STREET DOG, IT'S YOUR FAULT THAT YOU LET IT OUT WITHOUT SUPERVISION!

Julie has since then tried to sniff Bittu everytime she's around him, and she always tries to play with him. Though he is scared of her, Bittu tolerates her and this was an amazing moment for me!

Bittu gets really wild when he hears other cats having a fight or even smells other cats, but when the dogs are around, he doesn't react wildly! He lets Julie and Tutti lick him and does try to escape at times but now I know that my cat is safe from other cats, when these dogs are around! Now I go away, leaving Bittu with the dogs, and I dont have to worry about other cats coming and attacking Bittu, as I know that the dogs are going to protect him, come what may!

Charu Shah
Mumbai


1 comment:

doggylove said...

wow, that was a great story! chinmayi , my vounteer friend, has two cats and one female dog, cats are angel 9yrs old, sonu,4 yrs, and spotty 2 yrs old dog, all 3 are spayed.spotty is the last one to come in, spotty was a small frail pup then, and liked to seek the cats company, but the cats dont like her, and it often turns into a drama fight sequence, to such an extent that angel, hides herself behind the curtains, and when spotty comes within her reach 'guirella tactics' attacks her.the two cats themselves dont get along well with each other!! hows that?