About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Street dogs of Santo Domingo, revisited

A year ago Canadian photographer Sarah O'Neill visited the Dominican Republic and clicked some beautiful pictures of free-roaming dogs. Some of them were posted here.

This year she made the same trip to Santo Domingo, and having some free time took many more pictures. Some of them are of dogs that are seen daily in the Colonial Zone area.

Take a close look at the four pictures of the black dog below. Picture 1 was taken last year. On this trip Sarah stumbled upon the same dog again. Her captions best explain the pictures.





"Picture 2 is her in the almost exact same position but one block east from where she was a year to the day."



"Picture 3 is a composite of her...as you can see she gets up because someone started a high pitch whistle further down the street that got her attention."



"Picture 4 is her playing with another female, notice collar, who looks like she has also given birth recently. Poor thing is probably a breeding machine. I'm thinking she is a roaming pet dog. She doesn't appear to have mange like some of the others and looks relatively healthy.

I was almost positive it was her...when I got back to the hotel, I opened my laptop and checked my blog from a year ago to confirm it was her. Same lump beside her right shoulder."

I agree with Sarah about the collared dog, she is probably a pet allowed to roam free. This kind of pet ownership (so like our Indian villages) is perhaps common in South America? I noticed the same thing in Peru, pets wandering around as they please. In some parts of India (for instance the Sundarbans) I've noticed the same marked difference in coat condition between pet and ownerless village dogs.























More posts on South American dogs here, here and here.

Photos: Sarah O'Neill
Santo Domingo

No comments: