About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Saturday, February 5, 2011

INpuppy and boy near Pench



Not a very good picture, but the pup was very cute.

I was sitting in a house in Sawra village, where I had gone on work. The village is near Pench Tiger Reserve in Central India and the inhabitants are mostly, or perhaps solely Gond tribals. I saw two little boys passing along the main street of the village, one of them carrying this sweet puppy.

Of course I immediately went out and asked if I could click them. That was a mistake because they became self-conscious and stiff. Unlike our city kids, village children do not get photographed much. Worse, two men immediately stepped forward and asked if they could also be in the photograph. I politely declined and took this picture quickly before any more unwanted models turned up.

This is "puppy season" for native dogs by the way. As mentioned in the INDog site in the article by Gautam Das, aboriginal dogs usually have seasonal breeding which in India is during the late monsoon. Also see the paper by Dr S K Pal on reproduction behaviour of free-ranging rural dogs (link in the same site).

Sawra
Central India

No comments: