About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Winter pups in Goa

These lovely pictures were taken by Lindsay McFarlane and Su on their trip to Goa in December. I met Lindsay and Su because they had made an absolutely beautiful and award-winning short film on tiger conservation for us at Satpuda Foundation. Of course I was delighted to find they are dog lovers as well!

"Su and I fell in love with some puppies on the beach where we were staying," Lindsay writes. These were in Palolem. They were due to be taken to an animal rescue shelter after being weaned, so let's hope they have good homes by now. As Lindsay said, Indian dogs are beautiful animals and in the UK would seem quite exotic as they are different to most of the breeds there.













I mentioned in the last post that most INDog pups are born in winter because of the synchronized seasonal mating in the late monsoon. Here's another example. I believe that free-ranging females observed to be in oestrus at any other season would probably be mix-breeds.

Photos: Lindsay McFarlane
Palolem, Goa

2 comments:

georgia little pea said...

Hi Ms Khalap,

Just dropping by to say Happy Valentine's Day! Don't know if you "celebrate" it in India. I just discovered from a Brazilian blogger that they celebrate it only in June there. Isn't that interesting? As for myself, I am too old (and jaded) to be keen!

Sorry I haven't been dropping by much lately. Been a bit busy and a bit down with Jordan's anniversary. February is a tough month :(

Anyway, have a great day! BIG HUG xox

Rajashree Khalap said...

Thanks and Happy Valentine's day to you too! Well it's more of a shopping festival here as far as I can see :-)
Take care
R