About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Gond family with INDogs



r



It's unusual and I think inappropriate that I have an internet connection (even an unreliable one) five minutes away from a tiger reserve. That's modern life. Anyway, it gives me a chance to post these pictures I took this morning, in a village called Khapa on the edge of Pench National Park (the Maharashtra side).

The village is entirely populated by Gond tribals. In all the Gond villages I've been in, people seem to be fond of dogs. No doubt it's a very ancient bond which goes back to hunting days. Hunting is banned in India now, and I'm often told in such villages that dog ownership has dropped a lot.


Most of the dogs in this region are pure INDogs and conform to the long-term pariah morphotype. You do see the occasional mix-breed though.

I was told that all the dogs in the village are owned, even though they aren't fed much and have to scavenge for food. A local person told me that the only disease the dogs get is itching and fur loss. When a dog has severe skin disease it is no longer allowed in the house and becomes ownerless. I did my good deed for the day by sharing the recipe for a skin disease home remedy: equal parts haldi (turmeric) and crushed camphor, mixed with coconut oil. You have to put it on the dog's skin and leave it on for half an hour, with the dog muzzled to prevent licking. Messy but magical. After half an hour you wash it off with any good neem soap. I also told this person about neem water and neem paste. He wrote it all down and I do hope he spreads the word among dog-owners there.

This family's pet dog has six fat little puppies - you can see them all in the second picture.

Pench,
Maharashtra

No comments: