About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Peruvian Hairless Dog



I'm going to post a few pictures which have nothing to do with India or INDogs, though there are some interesting parallels.

My husband and I visited Peru for two weeks recently, and of course I gave as much attention to dogs as I did to condors, hummingbirds and all the other eye-catching fauna of that region.

The dog in this photo is the Peruvian Hairless Dog or "Perro sin Pelo del Peru." This is an ancient type of sighthound which was bred long before the Inca era. Whether you admire its looks or not is strictly a matter of taste, but it has a very interesting history. Earlier there was a theory that it had been brought to Peru by Chinese immigrants, and no doubt this explains the commonly used slang name for the breed, "Perro Chino." However, the archaeological record proves that the dog has existed in Peru since pre-Inca times.

With the arrival of the Spanish conquistadores and their assorted Eurodog breeds, the
Perro sin Pelo almost disappeared. One unusual fact saved it from extinction and oblivion: indigenous people believe that these dogs possess magical healing powers.

Lately the breed has been revived and it now has
its own devoted fan following. It is recognized by the Federation Cynologique Internationale (FCI).

I was not lucky enough to see one on my travels around Peru, and I want to thank Archana Kumar for letting me use this photo which she took there earlier this year.


Photo: Archana Kumar

No comments: