About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Goodbye Lucy



Yesterday we lost our dear friend Lucy, my aunt's pet and Lalee's longtime companion in Nagaon.

Lucy was over thirteen but very healthy until her sudden severe illness just a few days ago. Sadly I was in Gujarat at the time and she died before I returned.


Lucy was a very cheerful little dog. I'm trying to remember her happy life and all the fun we had instead of grieving over her final sad days.

This is one of the last pictures I took of her, just two weeks back, standing between Kimaya and Lalee on the beach.

Goodbye Lucy. We'll miss you...Nagaon will seem very empty without you.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear. I think the picture frames friendship in a very beautiful way.

Rajashree Khalap said...

Thanks Veera. I think Lalee will look for her when we next go to Nagaon and I'm dreading that.

Anonymous said...

hey rajashree, I didnt know Lucy, but I am glad she lived a happy life wih a loving family. My condolences.

Rajashree Khalap said...

Thanks June.

Lubna said...

I am sure it hurts, and words cannot replace Lucy. When my Poochie died, I felt that a part of me had died as well. I cried, but years later, when I read this poem and this poem helped me. So in case you haven't read it earlier, here it is.
Hugs
Lubna

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of Heaven
is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been
especially close to someone here,
that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills
for all of our special friends
so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine
and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old
are restored to health and vigor;
those who were hurt or maimed
are made whole and strong again,
just as we remember them
in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content,
except for one small thing:
they each miss someone very special,
someone who was left behind.

They all run and play together,
but the day comes when one
suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
His bright eyes are intent;
his eager body begins to quiver.
Suddenly, he breaks from the group,
flying over the green grass, faster and faster.

You have been spotted,
and when you and your special friend finally meet,
you cling together in joyous reunion,
never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face;
your hands again caress the beloved head,
and you look once more into those trusting eyes,
so long gone from your life,
but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

*Author Unknown*

Rajashree Khalap said...

Thanks so much Lubna