About Me

My photo
Mumbai, India
I'm a landrace dog fancier. Founder of the INDog Project (www.indog.co.in) and the INDog Club. Before that, I worked with urban free-ranging dogs of Mumbai from 1993-2007. Also a spider enthusiast and amateur arachnologist.

This blog is for primitive dog enthusiasts. It is part of the INDog Project www.indog.co.in. Only INDogs (India's primitive indigenous village dogs) and INDog-mixes (Indies) are featured here. The two are NOT the same, do please read the text on the right to understand the difference. Our aim: to create awareness about the primitive landrace village dog of the Indian subcontinent. I sometimes feature other landrace breeds too. Also see padsociety.org

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Jilu

Ready for the next post? We have several lined up this month. And of course all the dogs are beautiful!

Here's lovely Jilu, a one year old INDog who lives with her adoring human Sayari Parui and her family.



































'I found Jilu on 28 December, 2017,' says Sayari. 'I was coming home from visiting one of my friends, and I was kind of thinking "I have to do something great today." Looking into the street back there I found a puppy so weak that she looked as if she were dying. I felt I must do something to save her life. So that's when I took the decision to adopt her.

My age is only 15 years so there was a risk that my parents would not accept my decision. We are a small family, just me, my father and my mum, and now suddenly I wanted to bring home a puppy. So this was a risk for me, but at the same time my mind was like "No, I should save her life."

She was literally shaking in the cold and she couldn't even walk. It was so sad to see. I managed to pick her up and I put her in a plastic bag and when I reached my house I hid her in my school bag and went up to my room, thinking "If I manage to convince my mum, and if my mum agrees to keep her, everything is going to be alright."

And amazingly my mum actually agreed! So that's how I got my soulmate, my Jilu!

There was one incident with Jilu that was terrible and heartbreaking. That was on 23 April, 2018. She was playing upstairs with her rubber ball, and suddenly her right hind leg got trapped between bricks. She was frightened and nearly broke her leg twisting it. She was in so much pain she cried and wouldn't eat. She wouldn't let us touch her for some time. The next day her veterinarian prescribed medicines for her and after a few weeks she was able to walk and run as she used to, and was back to normal.'

Lots of photos below!














































Story and photos: Sayari Parui
Howrah
West Bengal

Please do not use images or content from this site without permission and/or acknowledgement

No comments: